HELP ME TO SUPPORT THE PARALYMPIC ATHLETES

PARRABUDDY.BLOGSPOT was started to help find a way for “Adaptive / Physically Challenged / Paralympic Cyclists ” to enjoy riding their bikes on the Daily Route of the famous Pro Tour Race Routes such as the “ Giro d’Italia " and the " Tour de France " !


Through lack of support i have been unable to achieve that goal and unless people decide to assist there is little chance that my 22nd season will be any more successful !


Tokyo2020 Paralympics was amazing for ALL , not just those participating but those who followed via the Media !


Since 2009 several other Blogs have been created to cover various other subjects !

Below is a guide to their separate purposes :

In the main Parrabuddy is about “Adaptive / Physically Challenged Sport” and Health Issues.


Skippi-cyclist is about personal issues and Road Safety Issues.


SkippyAus is about matters relating to Oz and some personal memories from my life there.


Tourdafarce & Tourdafrance are about matters relating to the Pro Tour , Racers and some personal experiences during my various visits to ride the Pro Tour routes .


Skippy (blogging) is about a variety of issues on the Internet .


NOT ALL postings arrive in their correct area but I will generally try to separate my views on Doping and Sporting Fraud from Road Safety Issues .



Comments ARE WELCOMED since this shows that those reading are interested in the subject matter ! Enjoy comments made to other blogs so wonder why only " anonymous " posts here !

Over the period of these "Blogs" I have had visibility on Twitter as “Skippydetour” and on Facebook as “Skippy Mc Carthy” where Google usually advise postings on the Blogs as they occur .

When any of you visit these Blogs I hope I am able to add value to your day and provide a source of information if not inspiration . Please consider asking your friends and contacts to add their support as many of the Para Athletes are struggling to find the resources to compete in Events at regional Levels let alone National Levels .


You the reader have the possibility to help these Amazing Athletes in your own way and contacting your National Paralympic Internet Site for relevant info is a good start !

May 27, 2012

HYDER HESJEDAL , a day to remember !

TRULY A MEMORABLE DAY FOR CANADIAN CYCLISTS !





Throughout the Giro I have had the opportunity to congratulate those wearing the Maglia Rosa but missed the important day , the finish ! Ryder has achieved a unique victory as a Canadian and will no doubt go on to inspire countless others to follow in his footsteps ! Steve Bauer and Eric Worlberg , both of whom I have met , will no doubt be remembered for their own achievements on the bike , but a GRAND TOUR Victory , stands out like nothing else !

Throughout the Giro I have had the opportunity to congratulate those wearing the Maglia Rosa but missed the important day , the finish ! Ryder has achieved a unique victory as a Canadian and will no doubt go on to inspire countless others to follow in his footsteps ! Steve Bauer and Eric Worlberg , both of whom I have met , will no doubt be remembered for their own achievements on the bike , but a GRAND TOUR Victory , stands out like nothing else !



For me the ride from east of the start at Male , yesterday morning , started with the expectation of cresting the Passo Tonale , and anything extra , was a bonus . Arrived at the Partenza about 8am and after checking out the Sponsors Village in the valley , I came across an Aussie family of four that I had bumped into in Treviso , the day before , in the Pinerello shop . They had followed my suggestion to drive to Trento , after the racers left Treviso , but did not make it to the Per Corso as it passed through the nearby region .



Local vendors started my day with Coffee , Cake and Crepes and then I headed over to the merchandising area where I learned that the seven year old , had won his age group , under 9’s State Champion Cycle Race , in Dubbo recently . No doubt we will hear more from the family later about what took place after I had introduced them to Liquigas personnel .



Along the day’s Per Corso was the Squadra Pullman parking area , which was filling up fast when I arrived . Had chats with Sky people , who were fairly positive that Mark would not retain the Red Maglia if Rodriguez achieved fourth or better on Saturday , and so it turned out , but put it down to good preparation for the TDF and Olympics !



Speaking with Garmin Guys I expressed my belief that Ryder would be wearing Pink that night as I felt sure that he was capable of cutting out at least 18 secs on the climbs that day . My boast that I always got what I wanted fell flat , since Ryder lost 14 secs leaving the door ajar for Rodriguez to , with a great TT performance , achieve the final Podium in Milano !



Today saw Ryder achieve a personal best and surpass “ Porita “ by a margin of 16 seconds ! Can you not believe why every second counts , when 23 days of racing , finishes on a knife edge ?



With little more than an hour in hand and having given the teams an arriverderchi , since I was not going to Milano , I set off along the route . Crested the Passo Tonale and was through Edolo before I had to dismount to allow the Peloton to pass by on their way to the Mortirolo through several other peaks . I headed back towards a crossing of the Passo Gavia which brought me into Bormio .





Once again I was at the foot of the Stelvio but this time I set out with a couple of Americans . Rich was with his wife on a visit to see Jim , currently domiciled in Padua . Carrying a few extra pounds he told Jim to go for the finish and then Jim upped the pace to the extent that I let him get the better of me . He told me later that he had seen me at the peak in the finish area . I on the other hand made a few coffee and cake stops along the way but missed all the BBQs I have found in the past . About 6km from the top the “ Alpinists “ had set up their stand and were kind enough to donate a couple of cups of coffee laced with Grappa , which gave an initial surge but caused me to first don a skillet and then an old rain jacket to preserve body heat as the wind had got up and was knocking me about as I rode against it on some of the climbs averaging the 9% but peaking at 14% . Only in the final couple of Kilometres was I glad of a push to maintain a bit of pace .





Friday night I had set the bike up for the day with the black wheels carrying the cassette with 25 but in the morning rush grabbed the red wheels with a cassette of 21 ! As previously mentioned I did not take the “ IL Giro “ to Denmark and in the rebuild after having it resprayed I had re equipped it with the 55 and 42 chainset . Perhaps it would have been better to have carried a 39 chainring to swop in . Another difficulty , which luckily did not arise , was that the red set was a 16 spoker and having had a casstte side spoke pop on Wednesday on the way up the Passo Gaiu , I was reluctant to use any great amount of force in the day’s ascents . The black wheel set was equipped with 32 spokes and Jim commented on my choice of gearing , as did a few others along the road .




Fortunately for me I arrived back at the area that Jim had parked his car and was able to get a lift through to where I left from in the morning .    Photos are not all going where they are assigned , but you can see how high the snow was on the Passo Gavia !

When Bruno my host saw the condition I was in , he first gave me a beer and then reminded me that he was born on Australia Day 66 years ago and that I no longer bounced when I crashed . On getting up this morning , the aches and pains from hitting the tunnel wall on the descent from the Stelvio were only too apparent . Luckily apart from grazes and ripped clothing there is nothing that time won’t heal . Had I worn the new outfit that Rudy had provided on Friday , I would have been very much more annoyed about my misadventure ! On this occasion the head did not suffer , but like Insurance , better to have it , than risk the consequences ! In another Blog I will explain why I feel that Rudy has saved my life

No comments:

Post a Comment